I am always on the lookout for meal ideas that will make my crew cheer, and these Homemade Pizza Subs have definitely been a hit around our house!
These homemade pizza subs make the perfect weekend lunch or an even better budget-friendly quick-fix meal on a busy weeknight.
Homemade Pizza Subs
King’s Hawaiian Sub Buns
King’s Hawaiian bread is a favorite around here! Their sub buns…hot dog buns…hamburger buns..dinner rolls…They are all amazing. In fact, my hubby would prefer if I never brought home any other kind of bread!
Tomato Sauce or Meat Sauce
I spray a foil-lined cookie sheet with a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray or Coconut Oil Spray. Then I lay open my sub buns and begin building! I start by sprinkling some Italian seasoning on the base…then I add pepperoni…
then a meat sauce mixture (jarred spaghetti sauce/browned ground beef) and the cheese.
After topping the meat sauce with a heaping helping of shredded mozzarella cheese, I place the top buns back in their place…
and bake these cuties in the oven on 325 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes – just enough to warm them through and melt the cheese.
To make meals like this as simple as possible I like to have things like the meat sauce prepared and ready to go ahead of time. For this round, I pulled some meat sauce out of the freezer! When I make a batch of meat sauce for spaghetti night, I like to double my fancy recipe (jarred spaghetti sauce and browned ground beef) and freeze half – perfect to use when throwing together quick meals like this one!
- King's Hawaiian Sub Buns
- Italian Seasoning
- Tomato Sauce or Meat Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Spray a foil-lined cookie sheet with a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray or Coconut Oil Spray.
- Then lay open your sub buns and begin building!
- Start by sprinkling some Italian seasoning on the base...
- then add pepperoni...
- then add a meat sauce mixture (jarred spaghetti sauce/browned ground beef)...
- then add lots of cheese.
- After topping the meat sauce with a heaping helping of shredded mozzarella cheese, place the top buns back in their place.
- Bake these cuties in the oven on 325 degrees for approximately 15-20 minutes - just enough to warm them through and melt the cheese.
While we’re chatting about pizza, have you tried this BBQ Chicken Pizza? It’s perfect – and guess what? You can even make it on the grill!
Do you ever cook a little extra of something in order to be able to freeze it and use it later? I love hearing new ideas about how to save time in the kitchen, so let me know what tricks have worked for you!
Don’t miss the Ultimate Freezer Meal Post! It has everything you need to plan, shop for, prep, and freeze yummy meals for your family!